Louise (Lynch) Taylor on WEIC

SPECIAL SECTION PART D

Norman Strater, Announcer & Engineer for WEIC

Return to the Radio History Table of Contents

WEIC All Pages:  173   175  176  178  179  180


174. 

THE FUTURE WEIC, WEST OF CHARLESTON ON THEN RTE. 16, NOW RTE. 316

 

       Mr. Jack Owens would take his railroad settlement and build a radio station for Charleston and East Coles County.  The FCC gave him a 1,000 watt license with directional towers.  There were twin towers in the rear of this old building.  The building was a kind of roadhouse.  WEIC would open in 1957.  One of the first employees was WLBH's Coles County Reporter, Louise Taylor.  She was given the job of news reporter and sales representative.  She would actually work in an office in the rear of the building.  WEIC would open a remote office in the Rardin Building with the Chamber of Commerce.  Louise would work for the Owens family until early 1960, when she would go back to WLBH for a Sunday afternoon show.  While at WEIC, she would broadcast news and greetings (birthdays, wedding anniversaries, and whatever listeners ask for).  She would have a Talk of the Town Society show in which many kids and adults would be interviewed.  WEIC competed with WLBH for covering events.  She would work the Oakland Cornbread and Bean Festival, and beat WLBH in covering the opening of the new Ashmore Firehouse. 

Photo from the Tom Watson Collection, Charleston


Return to the Radio History Home Page

Learning On-Line Home Page