Google Search or Wikipedia to find good sources
about the Battle of Gettysburg and the Gettysburg Address to find
the answers for these questions.
to get a print copy.
for an Answer Sheet.
answers to these questions:
1. What part of the United
States was Gettysburg located? (North or South)
2. Who were the generals for
each side in this battle?
3. What was the
most important thing about the Battle of Gettysburg?
4. What could have happened if
the Gettysburg battle would have been won by the Confederates?
5. Did the War end at
Gettysburg? If not, what other battles occurred after it?
6. After the battle what
happened to all the dead soldiers in the fields?
7. Why do you think the soldiers
on each side of the battle fought this war?
8. Who was the main speaker of
the dedication of Gettysburg National Cemetery?
9. How long did the main speaker
speak, and how long did President Lincoln speak?
10. In the Gettysburg Address by
Lincoln, did he ever mention who won or lost in the battle?
11. What do you think the most
important words were in his address?
12. How many sentences are there
in the Gettysburg Address?
13. Why did the President say
"Four score and seven years ago," instead of 84 years ago?
14. Why do you think so many
soldiers died in the battle lines and rows as they did?
15. Did the Confederate States
of America want to "defeat and take-over" the Union? If not,
why were they at war against the Union?
16. What caused the Civil War?
17. Who were some of the big or little shots (officers)
18. What are the highlights of the July 1 through 15,
1863 Gettysburg Battle?
19. What is a regiment? Name 4 of the Gettysburg Union
What is the state militia?
21. What was a regimental doctor called? What was his
22. What governmental department was in-charge of Union
23. What do these "food" words mean: rations, mess,
messmates, haversack, hardtack?
24. Who reported to the nation about the war and the
25. What person would take the gathered news to the
newspaper? What other "quicker" means was used to transport the news?
26. Who provided music for the regiments? What is the
difference between a regimental band and a brigade band?
27. Name the three main instruments used to march the
army into battle?
28. Soldiers often liked to write letters home. Why?
What is the envelope of a letter called?
Use ten "slang" words from the list and write a paragraph using these
flags and regimental flags were important. What were flags called? Who
carried the regimental flags?
What was the color guard's responsibility?
32. Many granite statues stand on Gettysburg National
Cemetery. Who is depicted in these statues? When were the statues
created and placed?