When the Gong Rings
A Fire History of Charleston, Illinois
 
324.  FIRE LOG                1982                            

Go to the Table of Contents Home Page

Also read: page 320, page 321, page 322, page 323


DOUBLE RESIDENTIAL FIRES IN EARLY JANUARY, 1982

DOG SURVIVES DOWNTOWN BLAZE

Charles Blagg, owner of the Blagg Furniture Store watched his store burn and also saw his big German shepherd, "Chances" re-enter the building during the fire. He and firemen figured the dog was dead. Chances came back out 3:00 A.M., Sunday. The dog was found wandering around outside the shell of the building. The dog was described as dazed and gasping for air. A fireman turned the dog over to the animal shelter at the time it was found. Pat Sebastian, animal shelter manager said Chances had suffered from smoke inhalation and had large burned patches of his hide. Later Monday morning the animal shelter called Mr. Blagg to tell him his animal was in the shelter. "I thought it was a mistake when I got the phone call," said Blagg. "I didn't think there was any way he'd be alive. I asked the lady to describe him to me. After she described him to me, I thought, 'Well, maybe it is him. . .' Mr. Blagg said they had the dog to the door when he broke loose and went back in. They got him again, and he broke loose again. This time the smoke was too thick to go back in to get him. Chances had a bad cough from the smoke and melted foam rubber on his fur. Mr. Blagg said that Chances came from a junk yard in Indianapolis. Chances' age was not known. He described Chances as a good pet, and "... having more lives than a cat."

THANK YOU FROM THE ADDUCCI'S

In a small notice in the Times-Courier, Joe & Vicki Adducci we can read a note of thanks:

WE WANT TO THANK

And commend the Charleston Fire Dept. and Lincoln Fire Protection Dist. for saving our restaurant. We're back in the Pizza and Italian dinner business. Doors open daily 4 P.M., 7 days a week. Joe & Vicki Adducci, Adducci's Italian Restaurant, Thanks.  In another notice, CFD's Larry McGinness thanks people

To the Editor:

We, the members of the Charleston Fire Department, would like to

thank all the people who brought us hot coffee and sandwiches and supplied us with dry socks and gloves during the recent fires in Charleston We would like to express our appreciation for the support shown us by the members of the community. Larry W. McGinness, secretary, Charleston Fire Department

FIRE HITS TWO HOMES

Wednesday, Jan. 6 & Thursday, Jan. 7, 1982, would not allow any rest for the CFD. At 11:26 P.M., Wednesday, the Mike Baird residence at 1815 McKinley St. was reported on fire. The fire could have been tragic, according to Fire Chief Melvin Taylor, but the family, including two small children, managed to escape after a smoke detector awakened them. "Mike was asleep at the time and he thought (the smoke alarm) was the telephone ringing. But he was able to get up and get their two children out." Damage to the Baird home was estimated at $10,000 and the loss of its contents was set at $8,500. Taylor reported heavy structural damage to the inside and outside of the home. The fire started when a radio shorted out and caught a couch on fire. Flames then spread to the curtains, the ceiling and through it to the attic. Firemen returned to the station shortly after 1:00 A.M., Thursday. "Unfortunately, when we received the call, we were on a mistaken call at American Hardware." Taylor said. Several minutes were lost because of the delay. HOUSE FIRE AT 1503 JACKSON At 4:38 P.M., Thursday a John Aulabaugh reported the fire as he was driving down Jackson St. and saw smoke coming from the home. The home's lone occupant, Catherine Evans, was not at home when the fire broke out. The damage to this fire was considered as "Totaled." Mr. Aulabaugh stopped had stopped his car and then went to neighbors to call the CFD. He said two other cars slowed up, but didn't stop (just went on).  Mr. Aulabaugh then went to the back door, broke the glass and again yelled to see if anybody was in the