When the Gong Rings
A Fire History of Charleston, Illinois
 
213.  FIRE LOG 1974      

Go to the Table of Contents Home Page

Also go to: page 212, page 214 and page 215


COMMISSIONER DAN THORNBURGH CALLS FOR AMBULANCE VOTE
January 9, 1974, the ambulance service in the fire department was going strong, but the commissioner thought such an important issue should be given a vote by referendum. He told the council that "they need to get an indication from the people about how to spend their money. I want their opinion." The council agreed and set up a resolution calling for a referendum.  Obviously the referendum passed, the ambulance service celebrates its 20th anniversary at the time of this writing (1994).

SHARON BENNETT HOME BURNS

January 25, 1974 the large two story home of Mrs. Sharon Bennett at 302 4th St. suffered damage to a second story bedroom and minor damage to the attic. Chief George Milliner said the 1:00 P.M. fire "apparently started from 

 

a cigarette or something in the bed and then spread throughout the room and into the attic." No one was injured in the blaze.
MARCH  29,   1974  ALARM  TO COLEMAN HALL
A popped steam valve triggered an alarm at the EIU campus.

HIGH SCHOOL LOUNGE BURNS

CFD prevented a serious fire by dousing a fire in the teachers'  lounge.  The alarm was April   19, 1974, and was reported at 4:45 A.M. after a CPD officer noticed it.   The lounge was completely gutted, with some damage to adjoining classrooms.  The entire building was engulfed with smoke. Captain Wayne Hampton received a laceration on the hand from a piece of broken glass. He was treated & released at Charleston Hospital. The lounge door was closed and saved the rest of the building from fire.