When the Gong Rings
A Fire History of Charleston, Illinois
112.  FIRE LOG 1962              

  Go to the Table of Contents Home Page

CLICK THE PAGE TO NAVIGATE:  104  105  106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 

JANUARY, 1962 SEES TWO BAD FIRES


OIL HEATER MAY HAVE CAUSED FIRE AT DO-RITE SUNDAY

 

       January 14, 1962, was a typical cold January day. Firemen were called out Sunday to the printing business and manufacturing company, on Washington Street in Charleston. Chief George Milliner said he believe the fire which roared through the Do-Rite Manufacturing Company may have started in the vicinity of an oil heater. Front offices containing the company's offset printing equipment and supplies were destroyed. The roof over the front part of the building also was destroyed. Firemen checked the blaze before it reached a warehouse in the rear containing the company's roofing materials, tar and chemicals.

"If that stuff had started, -we - would have been there yet," Milliner said. Firemen battled the blaze for more that three hours in the afternoon. Milliner also said there was a brief flare-up from smouldering papers Sunday night. No estimate of damage was immediately available. Max Baker, owner of the business was vacationing in Florida. Captain Taylor was at his grandfather's funeral in Tennessee.

 

TRAILERS BURN

 

        The home of Mrs. Edna Bettinger, 1112 Harrison Street was heavily gutted January 29, 1962. Several thousand dollars damage resulted. A vacant trailer owned by Alien Parker was moved into the fairgrounds after catching fire. A faulty oil stove was the cause.


(Myers Studio Photo) Courier, January, 1962

 

        A fire, which firemen said was started through the thawing of frozen water pipes, gutted this trailer, owned by Mrs. Edna Bettinger, Friday night The trailer, located at the rear of 1112 Harrison Street, was expected to be a total loss with damages amounting to several thousand dollars, according to firemen.      


Return to the Charleston
Fire Log Index Page
Return to My History On-Line
Fire History Page