Generals Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee at
the Surrender Table at Appomattox Courthouse
President Lincoln would go to Richmond to see the
captured capitol of the Confederacy. He would
return to Washington to find out of the end of the
war. He would give his final speech from the White
House balcony. Many things happened shortly after
the war ended.
brief summary of the war's conclusion can be read at
this site. Included are memo's written by Lee to
Grant. Click here.
Go to the
Smithsonian Civil War
Timeline and answer the questions:
1. Several events took place to help Union forces
win the war. One started with a mistake by U.S.
Grant in which he lost thousands of soldiers in 20
minutes, but resulted in the last battle that Lee
could win. Go to the Timeline, for June 1-3, 1864,
and describe what happened to the 7,000 men killed.
2. What happened during July of 1864. The Timeline
several events in the war. List them.
3. Looking for Sept., 1864, what great southern city
is captured? Who was the Union General?
4. In Oct. of 1864, another great battle was won by
Union forces. What valley did it occur, and who was
the general in-charge?
5. Nov. of 1864, was election year for President.
Which candidate won a second term, and who did he
6. Dec. of 1864, a large Confederate was destroyed
in Tennessee. Who were the generals of both sides
of this important battle?
7. March 25, 1865, was bad for Confederate forces
and it's government. What city did they lose after
the battle of Petersburg? Who were the generals?
8. April 4, 1865, President Lincoln and his son take
a tour of this southern city, and the President
actually enters an important building and sits at a
desk. Where was the city, and what desk did the
Union President sit?
9. April 9, 1865, Robert E. Lee would surrender to
U.S. Grant. This represented the end of the war.
Where did this surrender occur?
How did Union soldiers treat the defeated
Confederates? Lee responded to Grant (after reading
the gentlemen's agreement on surrender terms),
"This will have
a very happy effect on my army."
What did Lee
mean, when he said this? Go here for
10. April 14, 1865, would have great happenings
including the raising of the stars and stripes at
what fort? What play was running at Ford Theatre,
and who would be guests of the play on the 14th?
Read the Wikepedia article for details.
Surrender at Appomattox Courthouse Page