Original Army Medal of Honor
Go to the
Medal of Honor site to read a story of the first
Medal of Honor awardees in the Civil War.
Here for AN A-Z CIVIL WAR LIST
OF MEDAL OF HONOR WINNERS
ANSWER THE QUESTIONS
1. The first official federal military award was given
in 1847. What was this award called? What did the
recipient get besides a certificate?
2. President Lincoln approves a medal of honor in
1861. Which branch of the service was this medal for?
3. In July of 1862, another medal was authorized.
What branch of service was this medal for?
4. In April of 1862, James J. Andrews (a Civil War Union
spy) organized a group of Union army soldiers to enter
into Georgia and conduct a raid. What was their
5. What is the total of medals given out during the
Civil War 1861-Dec. of 1865? Go to the
timeline to find the total.
6. Why does a soldier (male or female) get the Medal of
7. What is the correct name of the medal: Congressional
Medal of Honor, or Medal of Honor?
8. Describe what the Medal looks like (materials, color
anyone duplicate or purchase a medal of the military and
wear it? What can happen if a person wears one without
earning it? Go Here
If you are further interested in Andrew's Raiders and
the Great Locomotive Chase visit the
Great Locomotive Chase Activity.
16th President Topic Index
Learning On-Line Home Page