This Learning Lincoln On-Line Activity provides a 4
picture online puzzle in which participants may click
hotspots within the pictures to find 30 Lincoln Cabinet
and early policy decisions questions.
A variety of articles and special
readings will be provided for each question.
CLICK HERE TO ENTER THE "PRESIDENT'S CABINET" PUZZLE
Many large scale group portraits of Lincoln's cabinet,
as well as political cartoons were made during and after
Lincoln's time. Very serious political and policy
matters, along with a pending Civil War had to be
considered in the days right after his inauguration.
The personalities of each cabinet member as well as Vice
President Hamlin will be considered in the puzzle
questions. Participants may use these in a written
response, or any form.
Research, Questions and Puzzle About Lincoln's Cabinet
Lincoln and his
cabinet From the U.S. Congress Collection:
First Reading of the
Emancipation Proclamation of President Lincoln
by Francis Bicknell Carpenter (1830 - 1900)
Go to the historical
Harper's Weekly site to see a great portrait of the President with his
Cabinet members in the portrait are:
Montgomery Blair, Salmon P. Chase,
William Seward, Simon Cameron, Caleb B. Smith, Edward Bates, Gideon Welles, William H.
Seward, and Simon Cameron. Click the
Lincoln's Friends--Cabinet for information.
Mr. Lincolns Cabinet and Vice Presidents to get answers
INTRODUCTORY CHALLENGE QUESTIONS
Lincoln had several strong opponents when running for President.
those opponents did he appoint as members of his cabinet?
2. Why did Lincoln appoint these strong opponents as his cabinet
3. Name the cabinet members and what their departments.
4. Which secretary operated out of the War Room?
5. What did Lincoln's cabinet think about Lincoln releasing the
6. Who was Lincoln's Vice-President during his last year as President?
7. How did President Lincoln relate to his cabinet?
8. How did he relate to them & how did he use them to help run the
and the War?
CABINET PUZZLE HOTSPOTS
HERE TO ENTER THE "PRESIDENT'S CABINET" PUZZLE PAGE)
#1- #30 and General Question Hotlinks.
1. President Lincoln Selects the Candidates
for His Cabinet
Washington D.C. During the War, Including
the Original Plans for the City
3. Article about "Lincoln's Political
4. Members of the Cabinet, and Those
"Lincoln's Successes and Failures--a call to
replace cabinet members"
7. Attorney General Edward Bates
Simon Cameron, Sec. of War
Chase (Dept. of the Treasury)
10. Montgomery Blair (1861-1864),
Edward Bates (1862-1864), Attorney General
12. John Usher (1863-1865), Sec. of Interior
13. Hannibal Hamlin (1860-1864), Vice
President, 1st Term
14. Salmon P. Chase(1861-1864), Sec. of the Treasury
15. William Seward (1862-1865), Sec. of
16. Gideon Welles (1862-1865), Sec. of the
17. President Abraham Lincoln (1861-1865)
18. Edwin M. Stanton( 1862-1865), Sec. of
19. Caleb B. Smith (1861-1862), Sec. of
Simon Cameron (1862), Sec. of War
21. William P. Fessenden (1864–1865)
Sec. of the Treasury
22. Hugh McCulloch (1865) Sec. of the
23. James Speed (1864–1865), Attorney
24. William Dennison (1864–1865)
**Andrew Johnson, Vice President (1865),
Lincoln's 2nd Term
26. President Lincoln Organizes and
Appoints His Cabinet
President Lincoln is Inaugurated, and what
happened in the days after
President Lincoln's Decisions, The Day After
Dealing with the Crisis of States'
Secessions & Ft. Sumter
Vice President Hamlin, Policy Setting, Early
Changes in the Cabinet
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES ABOUT THE CABINET
16th President Topics Index
Learning On-Line Home Page